Most girls dream of a fairytale proposal but not all of them get one—especially not one that takes place in Cinderella’s castle. Luis surprised Katherine with a proposal fit for a princess, on Valentine’s Day in 2012. Not only was it a special hallmark in their relationship, but also one for Disney World, with the couple being the first to get engaged inside the castle. They’ll actually be making history with their engagement commemorated in a Disney book. Their evening began with a romantic dinner inside the castle. The chef then brought out the ring, which was inside a rose filled glass slipper that read “happily ever after.” All of the Disney princesses trailed behind him, joining in the celebration. For the sweet finale, they were presented with a white chocolate mold of the glass slipper, filled with fresh strawberries. Katherine was completely surprised, since it was Valentine’s Day, and she figured the romantic dinner at Cinderella’s castle was just part of the holiday.
They first discovered the O.Henry Hotel while flipping through The Knot Magazine, and they were instantly smitten, settling upon it as the site of their reception. The old-world European atmosphere reminded Katherine of time spent abroad as a child when her father was in the military. The couple were married in February of 2014. They exchanged their vows before their families in an intimate Catholic service at Our Lady of Grace Church, and an evening reception followed in the Hawkins Brown Room of the O.Henry Hotel.
Katherine and Luis were equally involved in the wedding planning process, designing much of the decorations themselves. They requested romantic shades of pink, in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. They also wanted their wedding to showcase elements of their Disney engagement, so they found metal centerpieces that resembled Cinderella’s carriage. The lovebirds also made the table numbers and place cards, and had custom candles with their names and wedding date. As favors for their guests, they had stemless wine glasses which said “love” in Spanish and English, at each place setting. Each glass was filled with tulle and ribbon and different flavored Hershey Kisses with custom-made stickers that had the bride and groom’s names and wedding date.
Cocktail Hour Menu:
- Cheese Display: Chef’s Selection of Artisanal Cheeses served with Rustic Breads and Assorted Crackers
- Crispy Shrimp with Romesco Aioli
- Fire-Roasted Chicken and Mushroom Bruschetta with Herbed Ricotta Cheese
- Giacamo’s Fresh Italian Sausage “Jacks” served with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Pesto
- Mini Crab Cakes served with Chili Lime Aioli
Plated Dinner Menu:
- Mixed Baby Green Salad with an Array of Julienne Garden Vegetables served with Five Herb Buttermilk and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast with Herbed Goat Cheese, Lemon Garlic Sauce and Crispy Capers, served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Rosemary Crusted Prime Rib with Roasted Mirepoux Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Grilled Salmon with Chive Butter Sauce served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Chef’s Selection of Vegetarian Entree
Bite-Sized Dessert Display:
- Miniature Brownies
- Bite-Sized Cheesecake
- Fruit Tarts
Wedding Magic Makers:
- On Site Director: Oluwafemi Ehinmiakhena (family friend)
- Florist: Brenda McLamb (with O.Henry Hotel)
- Photographer: Mark Potter Photography
- Bakery: Maxie B’s (Red Velvet, Italian Cream, Caramel Pecan)
- Hair & Makeup: Updo’s Studios
- DJ: DJ SP (Mike): Rough Camper Entertainment
For more information on the event you are planning in Greensboro, North Carolina, please complete our inquiry form, email our Sales Team members, or give us a call at O.Henry Hotel: 336-854-2000 or Proximity Hotel: 336-478-9111.